- About Us
- The Company
- The Management TeamBen Diachun
President Cory Bird
Executive Vice President/Chief Technology Officer Bob Withrow
Vice President/Engineering Luke Goossen
Vice President/Manufacturing Operations Peter Siebold
Vice President/Flight Operations Patti Bird
Vice President/Business Operations Jason Kelley
Vice President/Manufacturing Support Trish Mills
Vice President/Shared Services Mark Taylor
Vice President/Chief Financial Officer
- Burt Rutan
- Scaled Overview Video
- MODEL 97: Microlight Model 97 is a two-place, side-by-side airplane of the 300 lb empty weight class. It has a slightly swept-back canard forward and swept back wings with winglets at the tips.
- MODEL 115: Starship A subscale version of an eleven-place, twin turboprop, high-performance business aircraft developed for Beech Aircraft Corporation.
- MODEL 133: ATTT The Model 133-4.62 ATTT proof-of-concept demonstrator is a 62% scaled version of an airplane designed to challenging STOL and long range requirements.
- MODEL 143: Triumph The all-composite Triumph, an 8,500 lb, pressurized 8-place business aircraft, was designed around the brand-new, never flown, Williams FJ-44 turbofan engine.
- MODEL H1, H2: Stars & Stripes Scaled did the structural design, tooling, fabrication, and static testing of an 85 ft span and a 108 ft span rigid sail/airfoil for the America’s Cup Challenge Race.
- MODEL 151: ARES The ARES, Scaled Model 151, was designed initially in response to a U.S. Army request for a Low Cost Battlefield Attack Aircraft (LCBAA).
- General Motors Ultralite Show Car The Advanced Engineering Staff of General Motors designed a technology demonstration vehicle called the Ultralite, an automobile with interior room capable of seating four full size adults, and with excellent visibility, handling, performance, emissions and fuel consumption.
- MODEL 226: Raptor The Raptor Demonstrator high-altitude, long endurance, unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) program was conducted under a contract from Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory to Scaled Composites, LLC.
- MODEL 247: VisionAire Vantage In early 1993, Jim Rice and Tom Stark of the fledgling VisionAire Corporation visited Scaled with conceptual designs for a new single-engine business jet.
- MODEL 271: V-Jet II Walled Lake, Michigan, June 23, 1997 -- Williams International today announced that its all-composite, turbofan- powered "V-JET II" light aircraft is on schedule for its July 31 fly-in and follow-on demonstration flights and exhibition at the Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) convention at Oshkosh, July 30 to August 5, 1997.
- MODEL 281: Proteus Proteus is a twin-turbofan, high-altitude, multi-mission aircraft powered by Williams International FJ44-2E engines.
- MODEL 309: Adam M-309 The Model 309 is a proof-of-concept aircraft built for Adam Aircraft Industries.
- MODEL 311: Virgin Atlantic GlobalFlyer The GlobalFlyer is a single seat, turbofan powered airplane designed to fly around the world nonstop, unrefueled, with a solo pilot.
- MODEL 316: SpaceShipOne SpaceShipOne, the first private manned spacecraft, is a three-place, high-altitude research rocket.
- MODEL 318: White Knight White Knight is a three-place, high-altitude, flexible and capable research aircraft.
- MODEL 326: Northrop Grumman X-47A The Model 326 aircraft (or Pegasus X-47A) is an unmanned aerial vehicle built for Northrop Grumman.
- MODEL 339: SpaceShipTwo SpaceShipTwo will be powered by a unique hybrid rocket motor, which is currently under development.
- MODEL 348: WhiteKnightTwo WhiteKnightTwo, or Eve, is the mothership and launch platform for SpaceShipTwo.
- MODEL 355: Firebird Firebird is an optionally-piloted intelligence-gathering aircraft system.
- MODEL 367: BiPod BiPod is a hybrid gasoline-electric roadable aircraft.
- MODEL 351: Stratolaunch Stratolaunch is a mobile launch system with three primary components.
We Dream It
The success of Scaled Composites owes itself to Burt Rutan's philosophy that the best ideas come from the collaborative efforts of small, closely-knit project teams and an environment unlimited by aversion to risk.
We Build It
Scaled's aerodynamic analysis and design capability, when combined with our proof-of-concept building experience, provides our customers with the most cost-effective and accurate development data available.
We Fly It
Having flight tested one new air vehicle per year on average since our founding in 1982, Scaled has the experience necessary to provide our customers with the development data they need.
We Team Together
We look to the future with the same focus on the approach we have used in the past; creating an enjoyable, rewarding work environment to achieve success while attacking difficult challenges.
- The Company
- The Management Team
- Ben Diachun: President
- Cory Bird: Executive Vice President/Chief Technology Officer
- Bob Withrow: Vice President/Engineering
- Luke Goossen: Vice President/Manufacturing Operations
- Peter Siebold: Vice President/Flight Operations
- Patti Bird: Vice President/Business Operations
- Jason Kelley: Vice President/Manufacturing Support
- Trish Mills: Vice President/Shared Services
- Mark Taylor: Vice President/Chief Financial Officer
- Burt Rutan
- Scaled Overview Video
Founded in 1982 by Burt Rutan, Scaled has broad experience in air vehicle design, tooling and manufacturing, specialty composite structure design, analysis and fabrication, and developmental flight tests of air and space vehicles.
The employees at Scaled come from a diverse background of talents, experience, and interests. This unique combination of individuals helps promote an innovative and creative atmosphere. Scaled offers the opportunity to pursue career and personal interests in a manner that can be found nowhere else by following one simple rule: have fun.
Our normal business hours are from 7 am to 4:30 pm (Pacific), Monday through Thursday. We are open every other Friday from 7 am to 3:30 pm (Pacific).